7.25.2007

#2

So I know I've been really slow on writing my fantasies. My problem is that there are several fantasies I have that I really want to come true and could potentially, so I'm not sure that really qualifies them as a fantasies and don't want to jinx myself by calling them a fantasy in case that could some how make them not happen. I'm insane, I know.

But while lying in bed last night, flipping from side to side, not being able to fall asleep, I thought of a fantasy that I have had in the past.

I think it would be really cool to raft down the Mississippi. Like Huck Finn. Of course, it would be completely impractical to build myself a raft out of logs, tying them together with rope. And although I've not seen much of the Mississippi outside of Minnesota, I'm guessing there are some rough parts that would not be too kind to a little raft. Not to mention the problem that a raft might have with the waterfall and several lock and dams. Also, how much respect to you think a barge is going to give me?

But how cool would it be to float all the way down the river, starting up at Lake Itasca and making my way through the Twin Cities, St. Louis, Memphis and New Orleans, all 2320 miles. I'd construct some sort of makeshift sail and have a cooler full of water, diet coke and food. I would camp on the shores of the river and stock up on provisions in the little towns that most assuredly line the river. I'd wear sunscreen. And I take pictures. Lots of them.

According to the Wikipedia article on the Mississippi, the retention time from start to finish is 90 days. I'm assuming that is how long it takes the same drop of water to travel the length of the river. So, for me it would probably take longer, since I wouldn't be sleeping on the water, I would guess four months or so. But I just read that I guy swam it in 68 days, so who knows.

What I really desire is to be in the middle of the river, down where the river is so wide that just thinking about swimming across makes your tired, at twilight, far from any big cities. I want to lay down on my raft and stare at the sky and watch as the stars appear one by one. I want to see just how large the world is and how small my troubles really are. I look forward to the sound of the lapping water, crickets chirping in the distance and to the peace that I think laying there will bring me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just one thing...don't forget the mosquito repellent.
I think your trip sounds awesome. I've always wanted to raft down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I think that takes 5 or 6 days.

kww said...

Beautiful.
Seriously.
Love it, love you.

Umo said...

That's an intense fantasy. Maybe it shall now be my fantasy too.