12.21.2007

Road Trip

We're off to Minneapolis for the holidays. Essentials for the car trip include:


1.  Snacks, first and foremost.

Top of the list would be the over-sized Reese's peanut butter cup in the shape of Santa that I gave to Drew. Surely that will give us energy late in the evening.

On the more healthy side, I plan on making and packing "ants on a log". Please tell me you know what these are. Drew did not, so I worry a bit about you Nebraskans.

Perhaps some pretzels or the pears I got in the mail from Harry and David. I don't know what those boys do to their pear groves (?) but damn they make some sweet sweet pears.

Lastly, I plan on giving in to my one real craving thus far in the pregnancy: French fries. From McDonald's. Fast food is rare occurrence in my life, usually the only time I allow it is on road trips (I won't mention that one time on the way home from an ultrasound...), so luckily the stars are aligned and tonight there will be deliciousness.

2.  iPod
Music is a must. There are few things that will make the 6-7 hour drive home tolerable, but having some kick-ass, sing-along-able music is a must. Music choices that have worked well in the past included the soundtracks to Moulin Rouge and Spring Awakening, Queen, Indigo Girls and Cake.

Drew also asked me to investigate audiobooks on iTunes. I'm not convinced that will keep the blood flowing as well as music, but if any of you have suggestions for a good, captivating book (preferably novel) in the next few hours, let me know.

3.  IPass

Drew gave me one for my birthday and I have yet to try it out. But I can't express how excited I am to not have to stop at the tollbooths and feel like a complete loser when my dog barks and scares the heck out of the poor, unsuspecting tollbooth worker.

Plus, no need to scrounge up quarters.

4.  Cooler

You may think this will be packed full of the delicious snacks mentioned above. But you'd be mistaken. On the way to the Land of Lakes, it will be filled with presents. But more importantly, on the way back, it will be packed with delicious consumables that are only found in the North Star State (or so I claim). I know this is completely ridiculous, but my need for meatloaf from Ingebretsen's, white kernel popcorn, and Simek's lasagna and meatballs overrides any embarrassment I might feel.


Did I miss anything?

3 comments:

bladio said...

I know what ants on a log are. We ate them in pre-school (but never at home), so some Nebraskans at least know about them.

I hope you guys had a great Christmas, and happy new year!!

kww said...

I know about ants on a log too--I never was into raisins or celery so it wasn't a huge hit.
Your roadtrip sounds fun, I especially like the idea of bringing back a cooler full of delicious dinner!!! YUM!

the meredoerr said...

So, the sad part is that I ran out of time to make the snacks. But I got my fries, yum!