Babymooning
According to the NYTimes, apparently taking a babymoon is the new thing to do before having a babe. So after much arm-twisting, I relented, and Drew and I headed off to St. John for a five-day, pre-baby, last-hurrah, romantic vacation. Our normal vacations consist of traveling with one of our families, so it was really nice for it to be just the two us, with no one else to be concerned about. We also planned this trip rather hastily, a mere two weeks before we left, which for me was really great because I usually anticipate trips way too far in advance and by the time they arrive I'm already anticipating what will be happening when we get back into town. So this quickly planned trip allowed me to really live in the moment on the trip and take it all in.
Here are a few pictures. I would definitely recommend both St. John and babymooning.
The first day we just laid on the beach and read. And had fun drinks brought to us. Mine, while missing the alcohol, were still delicious.
The second day we rented a jeep and toured the island. Despite being a U.S. territory, everyone drives on the left (a hangover from the Danes). I only freaked out the one time we were going up a crazy steep hill and in trying to turn we instead slipped backwards and into the shoulder that consisted of forest. Turns out road maintenance may not be a priority on St. John. We continued on, in 4WD, and ended up having a lovely day.
Most of St. John is actually national park, thanks to a very rich Rockefeller who bought up all the land and donated it. On our third day we decided to do some hiking. This picture was taken about two minutes before I realized that hiking while five months pregnant is actually much more difficult than anticipated.
Our dinner the last night was at a delicious Italian restaurant that had a scenic view looking towards St. Thomas. We had an amazing sunset dinner and topped it off with molten chocolate cake for dessert. Mmmm.
1 comment:
I wish I would have known about babymoons! That looks beautiful and fun and relaxing and inspiring!
Post a Comment