3.05.2007

How about Five Thirds?

So during my ranting last night* as we were driving home, Drew pointed out that I may have an irrational hatred of Fifth Third Bank. Whenever I drive past one of their banks or see an advertisement, my blood pressure rises, my heart starts racing, and my mouth starts spewing out incredulous statements. Every time. Just ask Drew. He thinks I'm nuts.

Now, I am not nor have I ever been a customer of this bank nor have I heard of any one having negative experiences. It's just that the name of this bank is so crazy and incomprehensible to me!!!!! I mean, what is a fifth third exactly? Do they mean one fifth of a third, i.e. one-fifteenth? Or perhaps it was supposed to Five Thirds?

The name Fifth First would make sense. After all there are a bunch of First Banks, of one variety of another and this could just be the fifth of the many First banks. But I haven't heard of one Third bank, let alone five. And then their logo is a fraction. Which makes the argument for Five Thirds even stronger. Now Wikipedia tells me the name is because two bank merged at some point in the past. But I don't care. Change the name to something logical.

OK, I'm insane. I'm going to stop now.

*That sounds as though I have a nightly rant fest. I don't. Usually.

3 comments:

kww said...

Ha Ha! I used to be upset about that as well. I would say it is really the 7th bank. But then someone (ahem, probably Watie) pointed out that if there could be 5 Third banks, then there was probably more than 1 or 2 First and Second banks. So, I couldn't really figure out what number bank it was...

momster said...

Not only is it grammatically strange, it's difficult to say!

bladio said...

on saturday i saw an ad for nasdaq that showed the fifth third bank and i thought of you. i agree it's a dumb name.

the name ruth's cris steak house also annoys me.