So That's What These Shoes Look Like
Back in college, in the dorm rooms, they had these small mirrors in which you could easily see how stressed you were by counting the number of zits on your face but good luck seeing how your new back tat looks. So I along with every other college freshmen (or at least all the girls) made our first annual trip to target and bought the $9.99 long mirror and then used a lot of duck tape in an effort to get it to stick to the wall. This type of mirror served me well throughout college, reassuring me that pajama pants looked fine when running out the door for a 8:30am German T.A. session and finally convincing me that tennis shoes look fine with jeans (I had some severe issues over this for a while).
So in preparation for getting married, there was the discussion as to where I should get ready the morning of the wedding. My parent's house was the obvious first choice, however they didn't have a full length mirror. And there was no way I was going to get dressed in a gorgeous gown and not be able to see what I looked like. So, my dad ended up buying and installing two full length mirrors and all was well.
Once we moved to Chicago into our own condo, I was so excited because our bedroom had a large closet that had mirrors on both sections of the sliding doors. This along with the exposed brick in the hallway was one of my favorite features. It was perhaps a bit sad when it turned out that the majority of my wardrobe while living there would be either hideous white scrub pants (never a good idea, never) and a startling green polo shirt or a pair of blue scrubs. There is really not much you can do with those outfits to liven them up.
When we moved into our house last year, I was so excited for all of its wonderful features, that the lack of full length mirror never occurred to me. However, it has now been over a year since I've seen my feet in a mirror. OK, I won't lie. When I really want to see how my shoes look with my outfit, say for example when I'm going out for our anniversary or attending some crazy work function with Drew, I will stand on my bed so I can see how my shoes and skirt or dress look together in the mirror over my dresser. I can then combine that image with the image of how my top half looks and make a relatively good guess as to how it all works together. However, standing on a mattress in two-inch heels is rarely a good idea.
Which is why I'm so excited that yesterday this arrived in the mail:
Thanks Pottery Barn! You've made all my dreams come true.
1 comment:
This is so funny. I stand on the toilet in the bathroom in my shoes--also dangerous. We have a full length mirror, but even though I may seem totally lame in the fashion department, I worry about shoes. But I don't want to go downstairs for the big reveal until I am sure, so...I stand on the toilet.
Post a Comment