8.02.2007

Countless Times

Hard to think that just a few days ago, I had only great things to say about the Mississippi River. I'm not feeling so friendly towards it today after the bridge collapse in MN.

Many of you are probably not too familiar with the city of Minneapolis, let alone the I-35W bridge that crosses over the river. This bridge is a main thoroughfare into downtown and to the University of MN. This is a bridge that my best friend travels over everyday to get to work. This is the bridge we used to use to visit my grandparents and the one my parents use often to visit their close friends in Stillwater. This is the bridge that a caravan of buses traveling to my church camp drives over several times each week. This is the bridge my dad traveled over yesterday morning and the one my mom was going to be on early this morning.

Thankfully, my family and friends are safe. I've not heard of anyone known to me that is injured or dead. Still this sort of event makes you wake up a bit and realize that despite how safe you may try to be, there are some things that are totally out of your control. And that scares me.

5 comments:

bladio said...

I thought of you and your family right away. I am so glad everyone you know is safe.

I'm sad for the Twin Cities.

Anonymous said...

We, too, are glad to hear that your family & friends were not involved, as that is where our thoughts went when we heard the news.

kww said...

Mamie,
I am sorry I called and had my own freak out, about what to do in an emergency. I ama sorry. It is so upsetting and scary and sad.

Umo said...

I'm glad that your loved ones are safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

So, so scary. We take so many things for granted! I'm glad your family and friends are safe.