1.23.2007

Saints v. Bears

So I probably should have posted this dilemma several days ago, ideally before the game was actually played. But better late than never I suppose. So as many of you may know, Drew = BIG Saints fan. And over the year, as I have been able to watch several of their games, I too have started cheering for them. I am familiar with their players and know their strengths and won't hesitate to sit down and read a SI article about them. However, living in Chicago and attending three Bears' games this year has also caused me to line up solidly behind them.

So this was all well and good because they were both doing so excellent. But the inevitable came and they played each other on Sunday. Drew went to the game and I had the good fortune of hanging out with the three cutest kids ever. (Watie, you would have been so proud, to hear Simon sing "Bear down Chicago Bears" almost absentmindedly as though it was a mantra as he played with the pirate ship.) And as I watched the game, my heart felt legitimately torn because I didn't know who to cheer for. As it became clear who was going to win (GO Bears), I started to feel guilty and bad for Drew, who undoubtedly was sad and disappointed. But he appears to be handling it fairly well, even if he gets chided a bit by his co-workers. Plus the Saints had an incredible season and will no doubt go far next year. As for the Bears, I think if they show up and play their best they can win.
And despite his gun troubles, I'm glad Tank will be able to join his team in Miami. While we would have had tickets to the Super Bowl if the Saints had won, I think being at home with friends, beer and delicious yet nutritionally horrible food will be a great way to root the Bears to victory.


2 comments:

kww said...

The superbowl will be more fun this way--not so much tension. Wish we were going to still be together to party down that day. Can't wait to see you Wed!

Anonymous said...

I am sitting in my studio giggling away at the thought of Simon's "Bear down Chicago Bears". I'm so proud.

Watie