Knitting Creation
So, there it is. My first crafty project since Girl Scouts. Somehow I missed out on the whole sewing, knitting portion of Home Economics, even though I was crazy and elected to take a second optional course (I was really into cooking in middle school). It was the best class though. At the end of the semester we got to invite two guests to eat a full turkey dinner that we had made. Mr. Nelson - best english teacher ever (and if you recall I hate english...so much writing) - was one of the guests. I can't remember the other. But it was awesome and involved no button sewing skills. Therefore the hat you see above is really quite an accomplishment for me.
This adorable (despite imperfections) hat and any others that I make will be shipped off to DC and then distributed to third-world countries for newborn babies to wear. This is an effort by Save the Children to decrease infant deaths within the first few days of life. Currently, 2 million children die within the first 24 hours of birth in these developing nations. Hopefully 75,000 of these hats will be made and help keep some cuties warm and alive. Accompanying these hats will also be letters to President Bush urging him to increase funding for health programs in these countries.
Join in.
5 comments:
Wahoo! An adorable hat!
When I was student teaching, I taught my kids to knit (they were a group of ADHD students so it was a really great way to get them to focus on something) and we made 16 hats for charity. It's a great thing to do...
You have inspired me to get back to it.
Mamie--it's beautiful! You should teach me--then we could do something meaningful as we watch P. Runway
you rock!
Do you give lessons? I would love to learn how to knit. That hat you made is so sweet and what a great idea to send them to wee little babes.
Congrats on creating your first hat! It's so cute!
Now that I have seen it in person, I wish to tell the world--it is really that cute. It is unbelievably sweet, and I can't believe she is going to send it away, when surely there will be a sweet babe who needs it closer to home in lo this next year or so.
Maybe just keep this first one--it i s SO sweet! What if you teach me and I make one to make up for the one you will send?
Post a Comment