9.29.2006

The Problem with Five years of Post-Secondary Schooling

So I've discovered the problem with being a science major. During my time at Carleton, it was impossible for me to take a science class (regardless of department) that did not have a huge-ass textbook. Seriously all of my books were heavy, cumbersome and had at least 500 pages too many. Along with these books, I have all the notes (in binders or notebooks depending on how I was feeling that trimester), papers and handouts that were part of the class. Now recently I have moved all of these notes and books into the basement of our house.

So, the dilemma I have is what the heck do I do with all of my schooling that has been packed into boxes? Do I still need my molecular model set or a book devoted entirely to the molecular biology of the cell? Really, 1408 pages about the cell? C'mon. How was I supposed to carry that around and not later need chiropractic help?

But I can't just get rid of them. I spent a crap-load of money on them, at one point I actually learned quite a lot from them and hey
, I might need them some day, right? So, do I keep them in boxes in the basement and not look at them until they need to be moved again? Or...

What dear readers have you done with your hoard of college books?

4 comments:

Umo said...

I'm a fan of Half.com. If I put them up right before the new semester begins (around August or December) they sell almost instantly. I can usually sell them for 2/3 of what I bought them for...

Rudy! Rudy! said...

I think that we should keep them all. Then, we'll get a bookshelf and put them all right in front of the front door. That way, people will think we're REALLY smart when they come to our house... Plus, who knows if someday we have a kid who needs to do a presentation on "New Developments in Pyschology in 1998" as a junior high student and a 20 year-old Intro Pysch book would be the perfect resource. I know when I needed to present on "Current Events in 1968" my mom's PoliSci books came in really handy...

Unknown said...

Lord knows that I can't get rid of a book to save my life. I sure wish I could, because moving would be SO much easier. But there they sit, every single one, on my shelves, taunting me with their knowledge.

bladio said...

mine are all in my parents' basement. one day we hope to have a house with more room, and i'd like to put all my college books out. i didn't take any science classes though (except geology), so the ones i'd put up are literature and history.