Impulsivity (because it sounds so good)
So last night at dinner, I was lamenting our lack of impulsiveness. We are not ones to just jump on a plane and go off somewhere by ourselves. While yes we are fortunate to travel a lot, it would be nice to go somewhere just the two of us. But since I can't even get Drew to call sick in to work, asking him to jump on a plane with me to Ireland seems out of the question. Why Ireland? Well, it's the first country that popped into my head. But then I really started thinking about all the places we could go. Paris, Cambridge, Kyoto all were thrown out as ideas. But the winner by far, for sheer creativity, was a tour of "all the crazy small countries in Europe".
And so I figure we fly into Andorra (or maybe we end there since they have the highest life expectancy in the world) and then jump over to Monaco where we can hang with the millionaires and walk the whole country (total area is 1.95 square km). Perhaps then we could take the train north to Luxembourg and tour the city's old quarters and fortifications before traveling southeast to Liechtenstein. I'm sure once there we could find many people to argue in German with about our differing views on birth control. And then on to San Marino, the oldest republic in the world. Of course the primary reason for going there would so we could later tell people we were in a country that was founded in A.D. 301. The Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica and a crazy amount of art would await us in Vatican City. Our final stop would be Malta, in the middle of the Mediterranean. Most likely we'd get there on some random holiday, like St. Paul's Shipwreck, since they celebrate more holidays than any other countries in the European Union.
If that doesn't sound like a fun-packed vacation, I don't know what does. How else will I ever visit these seven countries if not in a trip dedicated solely to them?
Hmm, I feel like I may need to do some serious arm-twisting for this to really happen. Maybe I should just work on him calling in sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment