10.25.2006

The Work is Never Done

Apparently, I didn't read the fine print when buying our new house. Or else it failed to mention how much work will always need to be done. Whether it's repairing cracks in the sidewalk so that water won't seep in and eventually knock your house over or tearing down the forest full of ferns in preparation for winter, there is always something that is vying for my attention. Today, after starting this project in August, when my dad was here, I finally finished washing, cleaning and staining our deck. Almost three months later we can finally enjoy our deck...while wearing mittens, hats and coats.

I know it may be difficult to see anything else but the beautifully treated furniture, but if you squint and tilt your head 36 degrees to the left, you may notice the grayish, ugliness of the deck. And this was after I had already done...


THIS.


Oh, how I long for sunny days where I could power wash anything I wanted. No, I'm serious. It's addicting. I worry about having OCD every now and then, but having a power washer in my hand may have convinced me that I might indeed have it. Or maybe an obsessive compulsive personality, I'll have to go check my DSM IV.

I was able to wash away mold from the sidewalk, leaf stains, Caper's muddy footprints. It was brilliant!! And it looked beautiful. But then more leaves fell and Caper continued to track mud around so that work has disappeared. But the deck remained, for the most part, free of mud, mold and stains.

So then it was time to add some color back to the gray sad wood. After pain- stakingly staining each freakin' railing post with a five-inch brush TWICE (I'm not sure the second coat made that much of a difference), we now have a beautiful deck of the "natural pine" coloration. The stain can promised me that it will block out damage from the weather. It had better come through or else my bill for my upcoming shoulder surgery will be sent straight to the stain company. Seriously, I do not like the repetitive brushing motion. Ouch.

But it was all worth it. Stay tuned for the next post.

No comments: